|Tips and Tricks|
1) Optimize Computer: This will help your computer run faster, and help with tip #2:
Since the speech recognition portion of iCommunicator (Dragon NaturallySpeaking) is resource intensive, we’ve found that the following adjustment in Windows helps speed up the program:
• Create a new user just for iCommunicator (Control Panel-User accounts)
• Remove any unnecessary programs from the startup (i.e. AOL, IM, etc)
• Adjust windows for best performance
(Control Panel-System-Advanced-Performance-Adjust for best performance)
For advanced users only: Run msconfig and remove any applications from the Startup tab that you feel are not neccessary for the proper operation of your computer.
2) Adjust the Speed vs. Accuracy slider
Dragon NaturallySpeaking includes a slider that lets you control the number of words and phrases that the program examines in order to find a word match. The more words examined, the greater the possibility of an accurate match at the expense of using more memory and taking a longer time to recognize your speech. Dragging the slider toward accuracy sometimes increases the accuracy of the matches at the expense of additional time in transcribing your dictation. You can adjust the slider in the following way:
To adjust the Speed vs. Accuracy slider
1. Open Dragon NaturallySpeaking
2. Open the Options dialog box by clicking Tools and then Options on the DragonBar.
3. Click the Miscellaneous tab.
4. Drag the slider of the Speed vs. Accuracy control to the right if you want greater
accuracy or to the left if you want better performance.
5. Click OK.
3) Run Audio Wizard:
The Audio Wizard takes 1 minute to run and adjusts for volume and acoustic differences. Even if the user trained the software in the same location, the Audio Wizard can help and should be run after iCommunicator starts up.
•Version 5 & above: Double-click the iCommunicator logo on the main page or select OPTIONS - SPEECH RECOGNITION - RUN AUDIO WIZARD.
•Version 4: Select OPTIONS - SPEECH RECOGNITION - RUN AUDIO WIZARD.
4) Is the correct User selected?
If you have multiple users on your system, make sure the correct user is open. The name of the open user is under the iCommunicator logo next to "Current Speaker". If the wrong user is selected...the wrong speech file will be used.
5) Perform additional training:
Some people require additional training. OPTIONS – SPEECH RECOGNITION – RUN GENERAL TRAINING. ICommunicator comes with a number of files to read.
6) Train individual words:
To train “Deaf”: OPTIONS – SPEECH RECOGNITION – VOCABULARY BUILDER – VOCABULARY EDITOR. Scroll down to the word “Deaf” and highlight it. Click on TRAIN. This should help with individual words. You can use the same function to add new words.
7) Adjust Microphone:
• When you are wearing a headset microphone, always make sure the microphone is
positioned properly and has not moved away from where you originally positioned it
when you ran the Audio Setup wizard.
• Try moving the headset microphone closer to the corner of your mouth. It should not
touch your mouth, but it can be almost touching. You should then run the Audio
Setup wizard to update its settings for this position.
• Make sure your microphone is working properly. Deteriorating microphone input is the
most frequent cause of deteriorating accuracy. Run the Audio Setup wizard to check
that the microphone input is still acceptable.
• Make sure the batteries are fully charged when using the
wireless feature of the microphone.
|Receive Updates on iCommunicator News – Join our Mailing List|